Water-based paints are more environmentally friendly than hydrocarbon-based alternatives. However, water-based paints use water which is an incredibly valuable natural resource, and so it is essential that eater based paints are recycled correctly in order to ensure the water can be processed and reused.
We actively develop and continuously expand water-based products that have as low an environmental impact as possible. Our low-emission, water-based paints are manufactured from high-quality raw materials, and the product properties are ensured with a thorough set of field and independent laboratory tests.
Most Tikkurila paints are water-based. Our goal is to make the interior paint selection targeted at consumers and professionals within the EU countries 100% water-based.
Why use a water-based paint
- Low-emissions and better indoor air quality. The thinner used in water-based products is water, which is the safest choice in terms of both the environment and the painter. Water-based paints have smaller environmental impact compared to solvent-borne paints. Thanks to low emissions, the quality of indoor air remains better and the allergy risks lower.
- Durable surfaces. Tikkurila's water-based products have a long history of high performance. When used as instructed, water-based products enable extended maintenance painting intervals. Please remember that a surface painted with a solvent-borne product can be overcoated with a water-based product.
- Easy and safe to use. Water-based paints dry quickly. They are also better for the health, because almost only water evaporates from them. No odour and short drying times make them easy to use.
Things to note:
- Just because it is water-based does not mean it is not potentially harmful. A number of water-based products contain harmful additives and can also be hybrid (contain hydrocarbon based binders).
- All Tikkurila products with an eco-label, M1 classification, Asthma Association, Nordic Swan, Blue angel mark have been independently tested and verified to prove that they have been manufactured in as environmentally considerate way as is technologically possible at this time and contain no compounds which will off-gas and cause harm to humans in the breathable environment.
- We have an extensive portfolio of water-based products, the labelling and classification system allows our customers to make informed choices. Please see the certification pages for a full summary of each certification.